Saturday, March 21, 2009

Ashlyn's Tonsilectomy

Our dear little Ashlyn had had a snoring problem for some time now. She could give a 60 year old man a run for his money when it came to sawing logs. But just recently she had even had problems with breathing at night. She had times where she would wake up and gasp for air. She has never been a great sleeper, but this had just been making it even worse. Her and Coleman share a room and Coleman had been complaining lately that he couldn't sleep because Ashlyn was snoring too loud. Well, we decided it was time to do something about it. We took her to an ENT and he said that they should come out. Her tonsils were so big that they were almost completely occluding her airway. She had surgery and everything went really well. She was a little whiny for about a week, but she did awesome. Dad made sure to get her (and himself) a slurpee everyday. Now she doesn't snore at all and seems to be sleeping a little better. Coleman claims he is sleeping better too.


You can see how much her tonsils occluded her airway before.

Our brave little girl getting ready to go into the surgery center.

Being entertained before the procedure.

Being entertained after the procedure.

7 comments:

Sandi said...

How old is Ashlyn? Emma had the SAME problem when she was 2 yrs and 3 months. The ENT didn't want to do the tonsilectomy because she was so young, but when he saw the size of her tonsil, he changed his mind. They also took her adnoids and clipped her tied tongue. It was so tied, he had to put 1 or 2 sutures. He said that would be as bad as or worse than recovering from the tonsilectomy. And he was right. But after about 8 or 9 days, she was back to herself (or mostly). And she only snores when her nose is plugged. Glad everything went well with Ashlyn and now everyone can get some rest.

Hksedwick said...

poor little log sawer...haha. I have a request. Could you post an after picture.

Katie Cash Davis said...

Oh, brave girl! I'm glad it all went okay.

Lindsey said...

So sad! I'm glad she's doing well and you figured out the problem. How are the moving plans coming?

Kari Dawn Edmunds said...

Such a sweetie! I can't believe how big she is! Glad it all went well! What a tropper!

Anonymous said...

I can't believe she's smiling post-surgery! I love these pics! I have the exact pics from when I had my tonsils out! I wasn't smiling in the post-surgery pic though... she's a tough girl!

annie said...

Ollie just had his out yesterday. Same problem. It has made a big difference already. She looks so cute in her littel jammies.