Friday, October 24, 2008

Goodbye Grandpa


Last night my Grandpa Tuttle passed from this mortal existence. He would have turned 89 years old next month. He was such a wonderful man and always a joy to be around. I admired him so much I gave my oldest son Coleman his name as a middle name. I always looked up to him as a man of strength, love, and humor. He always had little jokes that would get everyone laughing and he could lighten the mood in a second. I will always remember his hands. He was a woodworker by trade and still worked in his shop behind his house up until a few years ago. His hand were strong and rough and the tips of three of them were missing from an accident with a saw. His joke to all the little kids was that he was picking his nose one day and the boogers ate the tips of his fingers. I loved those rough, imperfect hands and hope that when I see him next that they will be just the same, because that was perfection to me.
I am glad that he is done with the trials and challenges of this life and have no doubt that he is resting peacefully with our Savior and Heavenly Father. He was devoted to his family and his church, he and his wife served multiple missions all around the world including New Zealand, Philippines, Jerusalem, and Nauvoo. He had a strong testimony and never wavered from it.
I am so proud and happy that I was blessed to be a member of his extensive posterity. I am so sad that I was not able to be there for the last moments and say my goodbyes to this wonderful man, but I do know that I will see him again when my turn is over on this earth. And for that knowledge I am so grateful.

8 comments:

j e s s i e said...

I love hearing everyone's memories. I especially loved the comment on loving his hands. They were proof of how hard he worked. Miss you!

Jani Jo said...

Makelle, you have had such a hard week! I wish I was there to help you in someway. You are such a great example to me.

Sandi said...

He will certainly be missed. Great post! I too hope his hands are just the same - because that is Grandpa.

Erin said...

So sorry, Makelle. What you wrote about him and your feelings for him are beautiful. This has been a hard week with so much loss. We love you!

~Erin

Troy and Mindi said...

Sorry to hear about your Grandpa Kel. He was awesome. I love you and hope next week is a better one for you. thanks for all the updates on the henries. Oh- do you happen to have holly's email?

Jayniehaven said...

So sorry to hear about your grandpa's passing. IT is so hard to be away from family at times like these. I also was not home to say goodby to a grandmother and grandfather and it is really hard. Although the blessing of Eternal Families sets my heart at ease to know that we will be with them again someday, and until then they are watching over us! My prayers are with you and your family.

Kyle said...

hey jeremy! or Germy! as we used to call you. So cool that you found our blog. I've been wondering where you guys have ended up these days. We bought a truck the other day from a guy just across the street from your parent's house and it made me think of all the good times playing in the yard. From tonka truck races, to playing football, to messing with the paper boy, and how he just loved to wipe the legs out from underneath me with his big bag, to fake crying so loud that your mom would stick her head out the window freaked out, to walking to school together, and everyone always surprised that we were friends, cuz you were like 3 feet taller than me. Good times. I'll add your blog to our list so we can keep in touch. Later.
Kyle Teichert

Paige said...

I'm sorry Makelle...I've lost 3 grandparents now, and it's not easy, but my prayers will be with you!